New Blocks and Layout Ideas
Despite other commitments and projects, my scrap II is still in the works and pretty much on schedule. (The goal being 366 scrap blocks this year.)
Without too much cutting required, I managed to make 3 more sets of "winged" creature blocks from this particular collection of pre-cuts scraps.
This swarm of on-point dragonflies just emerged quite accidentally as I was trying to find another way to build a butterfly.
I call these "Kimono Butterflies". There are many images for similar blocks on-line, so I adapted the pattern as best I could to use up my pre-cut shapes.
With the few bits and pieces of left over appliqued 1" quarter circles, a small swarm of "buggy things" emerged.
Because there are so many pre-cut strips left over from the same project as the appliqued quarter circles, I just started sewing them together in sets of 3, knowing (well hoping), that the maths should work out. It has. Hurray! Many have now been cut into 9 patch blocks and there is a stack of them that could become corner stones, (as below), or may yet become blocks in their own right.
Below are a few more layout possibilities. With all of the blocks that this stash of scraps will yield, more then one quilt is likely, especially since these will become kid quilts.
The 9 patch blocks could be sewn together and become the focal point in one of the quilts.
Or they could be the corner stone with a solid coloured sashing joining them. The hand dyed blue fabric underneath happened to be handy for photographing. I will likely try it with a white sashing before I commit to a colour.
Or, if I really feel wild and crazy, I may just sash the blocks with more colour. I'll have to see where the spirit leads.